Thursday, August 27, 2015

What do you consider to be art?

Some time ago, I read an article in the newspaper, containing a sharp reaction to the exposition Beaufort 2015 at the Belgian coast. It was by the mayor of Knokke-Heist, who complained about the kind of 'art' displayed. Here's a picture to show what he meant:



I can only agree with Leopold Lippens (Count). This I also don't consider art. I might be old-fashioned, but to me art is something beautiful. A few lines drawn in the sand, or a heap of driftwood, isn't art in my view. Anyone can create it - even a little toddler! Or my cat, for what it's worth.

No, art should be something that makes you speechless. In recent decennia there has been less and less real art, I find - a few exceptions set apart. There IS modern art I can admire.

But in general my preference goes to art like this:


Rodin's artwork "The Thinker" is something to admire. And recently, we visited the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican. The ceiling painted by Michelangelo, that is also art.



And my greatest preference goes to the impressionists. This is one picture I'd like to see on the wall of my living room:


What is your view on this? Please don't restrain to leave any comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment