Saturday, December 10, 2016

The perception of feeling older

Earlier today, I was browsing through some old family albums - pictures of my great-grandparents, my grandparents in their youth, baby pics of my mother and her brothers, right up to the pics of my sister and I. Guess my dad was a bit biased, as there are far more baby pics from me than of my sister, who's nearly 5 years younger.

Now that I'm 60, I noticed that my grandmother at 60 looked far older than I do. She was an old woman at that age. My mother already looked a bit younger than her own, and compared to the two of them, I look like 20 years younger still.

Well, I don't feel my age. I don't feel old. Sometimes, I still feel like a teenager and I want to dance around the house. I can still hop on-hof off the stairs like I always did. I never walk on stairs, I run. And we have many stairs in the house... A good work-out, right? Also, I can still ply my legs to sit comfortably (yes, when sitting on a sofa, my legs are like in a yoga exercise - it allows to easily lean forward to pick up something from the low table,  like a glass of wine). I can also still mount a horse, ride a bike, walk for hours.

I suppose I'll only feel old(er) when I'm around 80 (or even 90). That is, when I'm still around by then. I hope so and something inside tells me it will be that way. I had some problems with my blood pressure, but they are under control and I never forget to take my medicine. Also my heartbeat has improved a lot since I'm not working anymore.

And what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment