Monday, August 19, 2019

The rise and fall of social media

Big title in the weekend paper: Facebook is in the decline. Not a wonder, really. These are just trends, and all trends end one day or other. Some take a bit longer, others go after a couple of days.

Who rembers MySpace? I don't actually recall when it was in fashion, but it was hugely popular at its time. I had numerous friends on it, I remember, among which some who were really important people like Sophia Coppola or singer Tony Christie (who actually mailed me a couple of times). The system was as it always it: someone makes a friendship request and the other one accepts.

And then came Facebook. I never thought it was clever to share a lot about myself on it (I'm not that kind of person) but it was a good way to learn what happened to old friends and schoolmates. Got into contact with some on them thanks to Facebook.

Young people nowadays tend to go for Instagram or Whatsap. Can't blame them. I also use Instagram a lot and neglect Facebook. Doesn't interest me anymore! Most of my old pals and ex-students are on Instagram too and it's fun to share pics.

I wonder what's going to be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment