Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Packing suitcases

Today my sister has the afternoon off from work, so we can already pack our suitcases for our upcoming trip to South-Africa.

I was taught to pack a suitcase by my grandfather - an officer in the Belgian army (fought in WW1 and WW2). He was very organized! Even when planting in the garden he used a tape measure... And because I spent most of my early days with him and grandma, I took up quite some of his little attitudes.

When you pack a suitcase, the trick is to place everything in even layers. Shoes are the first to be put into the suitcase. Then you fill up the holes created by underwear and other small items (like socks, handkerchiefs, bathing gear, ...). Thus created an even layer, you can add nightwear, t-shirts etc. Again see to it that you make it even. Then come the clothes on top.

Another piece of advise: never take too much. That was my dad's advise. Only pack a suitcase so full that you can still carry it, when necessary for some miles. So you have to pick you clothing with utmost care. I always take items that are basic and interchangeable. For trousers in a warm climate I go for linen. It's a bit more expensive, but it's allowed to wrinkle. And pure cotton for the t-shirts or tank tops.

I'll also take a sun hat, but that goes into the hand luggage. I have this big carry-all that can hold a lot of stuff and is always accepted on board.

We often get the comment that we travel light, even for a longer time. Why need too much clothing? When you stay in a good hotel, there is always laundry service and it even doesn't cost much.

No comments:

Post a Comment