Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Counting off the days

 Yes, it's true - I'm really counting off the days! It's been 17 months since we last took a trip outside Belgium (that was our South Africa trip) - a very long period for people who are used to making a couple of trips a year (like 8 or 10)! 

Now that the European corona passport exists (goes into use on July 1st) we can safely travel inside Europe. So we've booked two city trips for, one for July and one in August. We don't plan to go far away, just to Luxemburg and Strassbourg. Trips we can make by train (first class, which is safer than second because less people sit in those wagons) as we rather avoid planes for the moment.  

It will be so nice to actually board the train and arrive somewhere outside Belgium! Spending a weekend in Antwerp was already great. I don't mind where I am, as long as I can enjoy myself. The luxury of not having to do anything yourself (cook, clean, run errands, ...) is what I understand as holiday. The plus is that you see new sights, explore new environs. 

Travelling is a vibe we got from when we were little. Our grandparents were travellers (which was rare in those days) and I was awe-struck when my grandma told about their trip to Italy, how she explored Rome, went to the Scala in Milan, sat in a gondola in Venice. Or about their trip to Germany, all those beautiful old towns and castles. From then on, I wanted to see those things for myself as well. And also our parents liked to go abroad. As soon as we were old enough (that was age 6) we were considered capable of going too. My first trip ever was to Echternach in Luxemburg, and then a couple of months later to Kandersteg in Switzerland. 

When we were youngsters, we always travelled with the parents. Our first trip on our own was to Norway. We used to fight a lot when we were younger, and I know our dad was dead worried we'd get into a mega fight during the trip. I think he had a rucksack ready to come and get us if necessary! But lo and behold - we got along just fine and had the greatest time discovering this beautiful fjord country! Since then we've been discovering the world, and are up to 38 countries visited at the moment. With a bit of luck, we'll add some more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment