Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Novels from the 1950's - and earlier

I am a child of the fifties. I was born in 1956 and grew up reading and loving the works of what are now considered the classics.

I already told you I was very fond of adventure novels, but as I grew up I also discovered romance. Well, what was considered romance in those days. I began to read the novels of Victoria Holt, Catherine Gaskin, Phyllis A. Whitney and so many others.

Some of their titles (Mistress of Mellyn, Fiona, A Falcon For A Queen, ...) I read over and over - until the library 'lost' the books. Another of my favorites was Mara, Daughter of the Nile.

Times changed and younger people did not like this kind of story anymore, or so it seemed. Romance changed too. More sex in the scenes, alpha males. Though some of these stories are well-written I don't like them as much as the old ones. For me sex scenes need not be to described in every last detail to make me use my fantasy. You can suppose the hero and heroine will go to bed, but all those pages of how they make love... Thanks, not for me.

So I was very glad when Amazon finally began to sell Kindle editions of my old favorites. Now I have Georgette Heyer on my Kindle, Victoria Holt, Laurie McBain, Kathleen Woodiwiss - and more recently Dorothy Eden.

It has been ages since I last read Winterwood. And while some of the above mentioned works are somewhat outdated in style, there is nothing 'old' about the style and storytelling of Dorothy Eden. It was such a treat to read that novel about Lavinia Hurst (who becomes the governess of Flora, a child who is in a wheelchair) once more!

Are there others around who also love these novels? If so, please leave a comment and tell my why.

No comments:

Post a Comment