Saturday, October 24, 2015

Would you forfeit your principles for profit?

This is a question that most of us would answer by saying 'YES' wholehearteldy. Most people can stretch their principles pretty far if it involves (a lot of) money.

But there are exceptions. Yesterday I read an article in the newspaper about fashion designer Murielle Scherre. She has her own make of (sex) underwear by the name of La fille d'O.  Superstars such as Rihanna, Roison Murphy or M.I.A. are spotted wearing this underwear.


Murielle refuges to make compromises. She won't let her bra's and slips be manufactured in a country where wages are low or kids are slaving away. That would bring in a nice profit.

No, her undergarments are made in Belgium, with materials solely from here and made by people who know their job and are paid accordingly. Of course, this drives us the price for a set of underwear, but that's the way it is, says Murielle.

What do you think? Would you submit to easily made profit?

What concerns me, I don't really know. I don't mind a quick profit. If for instance I had something on my attic (which had been there for ages and thus has no value for me) which proved to be special, I wouldn't mind bringing it to Sotheby's for auction. But when some producer proposed a film deal for one of my books, and they'd plan to change everything in the story - then I would refuse. Even if they offered me a million or more. So it depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment