Sunday, August 2, 2020

Staycation

This is a new word in Belgium. Because of the corona crisis, a lot of Belgians have cancelled their holiday plans and stay at home. The board of tourism has lanced a big campaign, advertising for destinations within Flanders or Wallony.

We also do a staycation. We're ever so lucky to have our flat at the coast, with its big roof terrace (30 m²) As the weather cooperates, we live a lot outdoors - on our own terrace where we stay in our own bubble and don't have to wear that stupid mask. My sister keeps busy by reparing and painting the outside wall. The block of flats dates back to 1969 and in such old buildings there is always something to repair. Chris has a good pair of hands and is very handy - unlike me!

I keep busy with bringing and fetching when necessary, and most of all reading. I've read a couple of books already - a mix of thrillers, romances, even young adult fiction. Some of these stories are better written than most of the adult ones. Is it my age? Now I'm in my sixties I tend to go back to the time I was a teenager or even younger, finding old strips on the attic and sitting there, reading them anew...

Hopefully next year will be different - and better, without corona.

No comments:

Post a Comment