Friday, December 11, 2020

Why Christmas songs are so popular now

 Much earlier than ever, you hear Christmas songs on the radio. The previous weekend, they only played songs that remind us of Christmas.

Why? Well, I don't know about you, but hearing those songs always puts me in a good mood. I guess it's the same for lots of other people. And good cheer is what we need in these dire times, filled with corona news.

A bit of warmth, hope and well-being can do a lot of good. Take myself as example. I really can't complain - I do have cancer, but I'm feeling fine and don't suffer any other health issues. I haven't caught corona up to now. I have a financial situation that is stable (not rich, not poor) and allows me to live as I want. But what pains me is I can't travel. And I'm not much used to this. Normally my sister and I travel often in a year. Practically each school holiday and often some long weekend. Now we have to stay at home and can only go to our flat at the coast. It begins to weigh on my mood, as I think the prospects for 2021 aren't any better. 

But my mood definitely increased the last week. It's cosy in the house, with all the Christmas decorations put up and the lights in the tree. And then hearing and singing along with all these Christmas songs... I'm looking forward to Christmas and New Year's Eve, even when it's only with my sister and we have to get take-away food.

What's your favorite Christmas song? Mine is 'Lonely this Christmas' from Mud. Chris and I were big fans of this pop group in their time!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment