Friday, October 11, 2019

Reading is important

In recent times, not so many people read anymore. The younger generation is all into their online games and social media, but they rarely read a novel.

Yet it is so good to read (a lot). Of course, you need the encouragement of others around you. When you grow up in a family where everyone reads books, you'd automatically take one into hand as well. That was the case for me.

When I was a toddler, I sat on my granddad's lap when he read to me from Alexandre Dumas (in French). Although I didn't understand a word, I must have caught some of the meaning, because when you ask me what these books are about I can give you the synopsis (and I only read The Three Musketeers later on)...

When I began school, all the primary teachers told my parents what a huge imagination I had. I wrote (short) texts for school about sampans in Hongkong, for instance. All the other kids in my class hadn't even heard of sampans nor of Hongkong.

As I grow older, I tend to read more and more. I want to embroaden my knowledge because you can find a lot of information in books. And for non-English speakers, reading in English is great to widen your vocabulary and your knowledge of slang.

My most favorite genres in reading are thrillers (so many good ones on the market now!), historical fiction (which I write myself) and sometimes a sweet romance.

What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment