Monday, January 18, 2021

Living at the building site

Since our neighbor Willy died, his house has been standing empty for over a year. Then there was 'For Sale' sign for a while, but when I checked online, the sale was cancelled. That was last summer. Then just before the Christmas holidays some workers (Polish or such) began breaking and banging. When we returned from Heist after the holidays, it was quiet for a week (being from the Eastern European countries, they had to go in quarantine for a week) but last Monday work began anew

Sometimes the banging was so heavy our whole house was thrilling. We saw five loads of wood being caried away, and now there's already the second container for stone and sand. 

I tried to contact the municipal services for building permits. I had to try a couple of times, and at last got someone on the line this morning. They don't know anything about renovation at nr. 16 at this desk. No building permit is granted. And works such a these certainly need one! Now they are going to investigate - it's a bit difficult because nobody know who owns this house - and if they find out there will be heavy fines and perhaps an order to stop the work. 

I don't care. I have always done as was requested when I renovated. I paid a couple of times for a permit, and well enough, as you can always get into trouble when you don't. The last permit was for a drainage pipe to the city network. Cost me 600 €, just to allow the rain from my roof to go down. 

In the meantime, we're "enjoying" the drilling, the banging and shouting in some or other Easter European language....

No comments:

Post a Comment