Sunday, February 26, 2023

Back from Iceland

Chris and I have been taking a trip to Iceland during the schools' crocus break. We flew directly to Kevlavik airport from Schiphol (Amsterdam). By train, Schiphol is easy to reach. We take a train in Dendermonde to  Mechelen and there we can board the ICE train to Amsterdam, with a stop at the airport. Because we had to leave on a morning flight, however, we went to Schiphol on Friday afternoon and spent the rest of the evening and night at the Hilton airport hotel. It was brandnew and you couldn't hear anything of the planes. We had an undisturbed sleep and could enjoy a great breakfast before walking through a covered connection to the airport.

The stay in Reykjavik was interesting. The only minor point was that there was a general strike going on in Iceland, and so we had to make up our beds and fetch new towels and other necessities ourselves. I'm curious to see if Hilton will compensate in some way for this (little) discomfort?

We made several tours from Reykjavik to other parts of the country. Saw geisers, glaciers, black beaches, lava rocks, old Viking houses, etc. Even learnt how to pronunciate Eyafjallajokül (!) But more about that in my travel blog.

And yes, I know, I'm running behing there, but as an excuse I must state that I have been very busy with other things (the renovation of our house, my medical treatment). Tomorrow I'll start my course of radiation for the methastase on my pancreas. Got a few phonecalls about this when in Iceland. Luckily, the same prices as in Belgium are being reckoned (Iceland is part of the EU). 

No comments:

Post a Comment