Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Second wave of corona?

Here in Europe we're almost rid of the corona virus. This means that a lot of restrictions in most countries have been taken away and the people get more freedom.

And here lies the danger. Last weekend, big masses of party-goers gathered on squares and began to party without any restriction (no mouth masks, no social distancing). This happened in a lot of places, like Brussels, Ghent and Hasselt. The behavior of these people is shameful. They threaten the health of many others, and will perhaps undo all the efforts most people made these last months.

A lot of Belgians think corona is something of the past. They are not careful anymore. And we see this happening in other countries too. Yesterday, there were images of cities in the south of France (like Nice) where masses were gathered to party. And in Germany, there are clustered outbreaks of the virus.

I'm ever so glad my sister and I are not such 'social' people. We don't mingle with other overmuch. When I meet an acquaintance, I always keep my distance when talking to them, and I'd never shake hands or kiss that person. Same goes when shopping. I steer my shopping cart away from others in the supermarket, and immediately clean my hands (both of us carry cleansing gel with us) when I enter and leave.

Hopefully the behavior of some unresponsibles won't spoil it for the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment