Friday, June 25, 2021

Almost summer

 We're into the last days of June and thus the two-month summer break is coming up. Kids don't go to school anymore, as their teachers are debating their results. There's been talk of making this summer break shorter, but here in Flanders not so many are for it. I can agree. Both as student and teacher, I always felt that you really needed this break to completely unwind from the previous year.

What will summer bring? We don't know - the corona virus is still active and regions can go from green to red in just a couple of days. Flanders is a green region these days, by the way. Our vaccinations are up and running and 3/4 of the adult population has already got its jabs. About 30% (among which my sister and I) have got 2 jabs and are fully vaccinated.

Hopefully the Delta variant won't run amok over here. We must hope that people will still be careful, especially in their contacts with family and friends, and that big outbreaks will stay away.

The weather isn't co-operating at the moment. The past few days it's been way too cold for the time of year and there was a lot of rain. Now it's dry, but cloudy. It's supposed to be better by the weekend. 

In summer, I love those days when the sun is out and you can live outside, in the garden (at home) or on the big roof terrace (at the coast). Just leaning back in an easy chair, book and cocktail in hand - what is more pleasing? And as the restaurants are open once more, we can go out dining. Last week Friday we did this in Dendermonde. We sat on the terrace of the restaurant because it was a hot summer evening, and the food was just lovely! Such a fine night, you remember it for a long time.

These are the little things that bring joy. I can enjoy each day - I've learned this a long time ago. Carpe diem, that's my device. Each new day is a present in my situation. When you are a cancer patient, you know what I'm talking about. As long as I'm fine I intend to fully enjoy what each day brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment