Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Solving problems isn't always simple

We have a problem - with mice. An army of mice has infested our house. Mind, they're not running free in the house; no they are running and scratching on false ceilings, after plints, over the beams of the roof construction, ...

We can't put down any poison because they never appear. The problem lies with our neighbor, who keeps birds and doesn't do anything about the problem. Not only the noise of scratching and shrieking is bad, also the stench that comes from so many dead bodies (there must be lots of them). I've repeatedly asked the neighbor to do something about it, stating our problem. He always promises to put out poison, but I don't think he does anything.

I've contacted the environmental service of our city, but apparently they cannot do anything either, because it's a private home. I don't want to go to court immediately, because that is a long and expensive business. Also, I don't want war with the neighbor. The best thing would be he'd do away with all those birds, but that won't happen, I'm afraid. And I think he doesn't want to put out poison because he has a couple of little dogs who might eat from it.

You see, this won't be an easy problem to solve. In Belgium, going to court for problems with the neighbors isn't encouraged and I don't suppose a problem with mice would be considered as a major problem. It would be different if his dogs barked all day. Something could be done about that. He'd have to keep his dogs quiet or he'd pay a big fine. Or even do away with the dogs.

I'll have to look into other possibilities to find a way to solve this. If anyone can help, please don't be afraid to contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment