Thursday, November 8, 2018

Weekend of remembrance

Tonight, I'll  be packing my weekend bag because I'm going to the coast tomorrow morning (my sister will follow after work, in the afternoon).

It's the weekend of November 11th. Most people will have a day off on Monday, except those who work for the government. They cancelled that free day some years ago. But Chris takes a half day off anyway - she's worked hard enough to be able to take up some overtime.

On Sunday morning, at precisely 11 o'clock it will be 100 years ago there came an end to the Great War of 1914-18. The past four years have been very busy in the west part of our country. That was the place where most of the action took place in that war.

There will be a ceremony in Heist to remember the end of the Great War, and we'll be attending it to be sure. Our grandfather also fought in that war, although he never talked about it. It must have been too awful.

It will also be a time to remember those who aren't around anymore. I have fond memories of my grandparents at mother's side (my dad's parents both died when I just was a little kid, so I never got to know them). I now realize I have much to thank them for, because they were responsible for my being the woman I am now. More than my parents they were responsible for my upbringing. From my grandfather I learned to be strict, meticulous and precise. Grandma taught me not to be afraid and to be preparend for whatever situation. Also to follow my own mind and not copy others. Those are valuable lessons, and I appreciate them even more when I'm myself getting older and wiser.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad. Rain is expected, but at the coast the wind blows away the clouds more rapidly than inland! It would be a shame when the ceremony was spoiled by rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment