Friday, January 25, 2019

Avoiding a shiner ... or worse

This week it was snowing here in Flanders. And as it is, some people NEVER clear the pavement before their houses. On my way to the town center, I have to pass a few meters where people refuse to shove away the snow. That makes it very dangerous there, as people walk through it from pavements which have been cleaned and where salt was spread out. Sometimes the midday temperature goes up to just above zero and then it thaws a little bit.

As I fell twice last year (around Easter and the other time during autumn) and had twice a blue face and once even a cracked lung, I don't look out to fall another time if I can avoid it. Just read in the newspaper that a man has died from a fall on an icy spot yesterday!

Therefore I've looked into the contents of ours two freezers and found enough to produce decent meals for two days and I did not have to leave the house to run errands. Here at my own terrace it's quite safe, as I made a  snow-free path to the shed as soon as possible. And today my sister is bringing along some errands. She'll stop working a bit earlier and go to a shop nearby. She's a bit sturdier on her feet and doesn't often fall. I always did - no sense of equilibrium.

It's supposed to be above zero today and tomorrow it would be even some 6-7° Celsius. That should melt the lasting snow and hopefully we can get out safely again.

No comments:

Post a Comment