Thursday, November 21, 2019

All Belgians love their frites!

First, I must make a statement. Most people know fries as 'French Fries'. But that's not correct! Fries are in fact originated in Belgium, to be more exact in the French speaking part of it. From there they conquered the world.

Ask a Belgian what his/her favorite food is, and the answer will invariably be: frites! The most popular item on a daily cook show is frites with Flemish stew (pieces of beef stewed in beer, with onion and mustard).

For a while I couldn't eat frites - had to run to the bathroom if I ate some. But nowadays all these side effects of the drug I'm taking daily are more or less regulated and so I can once more enjoy frites from the 'frietkot'. (See my post about them from some years ago)

Yesterday was a very cold day. We had been out, going into the town center to fetch food for the coming days and even though we ate well at dinner, we still felt a little hunger coming once it turned 8 pm. So we put on socks, boots, warm coat and hats and hurried across the railroad, where there is a frietkot. We discovered that the owner knows his trade when we returned from our stay in Leeds and Londen some weeks ago and had not been able to eat.


And oh man, did those frites taste! We always take as sauce 'tartare' which is a sort of mayonaise with herbs in it. And just like the time before, I did not have any trouble afterwards. My system can take these frites, which makes me glad because not fries taste better than those of a frietkot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment