Monday, November 11, 2019

Techincal problems

For some inexplicable reason my pc here in Heist refused to work for some days. When I switched on the power, the only thing I got was a black-grey screen. Which remained so for hours.

We tried everything - even gave the pc a good kick. Still nothing. Yesterday evening, I tried to switch it on one more time, and lo and behold, it worked! I could give my pincode and everything was as it should be.

So now I can again use my pc and write a blog.

Today is Day of Remembrance. Thinking our granddad, who fought in both World Wars. When the first one started, he was only 17, a cadet of the military school. They were all appointed to lead a regiment. Can you imagine, such a youngster in command of men who were 30 to 40 years old? Granddad never talked about that war. It must have been too terrible. The only thing I know is that he related that King Albert came to the trenches and talked with them. And that he got several decorations.

He did talk about the following war, though. How he was taken POW after the battle at Dunkirk, then brought to a prisoner's camp. Where he escaped after a while and then went undercover at the winery near Bordeaux. To return to Belgium near the end of the war and join the local resistance at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment