Friday, December 13, 2019

The power of opera

In the hour preceding this moment, I've been listening to some great aria's from famous opera's. I on't know why, but most of these have the power to move me, give me goosebumps. Although some of the modern music is not bad either, it just doesn't have what opera has. Some songs from the musical theatre come up quite near, though. Just think of hearing Karim Karimloo singing "Till I hear your sing again" from Love Never Dies, or listening to Sierra Boggess performing 'Thinking of you" during the 25th Anniversary of Phantom of the Opera.

What do you think? I don't pretend to know everything about opera, and don't like all plays. But I do like Puccini and Verdi, Bizet and even Wagner. I like to browse aria's at YouTube, and occasionally find unexpected jewels. Just some time ago, I found an audition for X-Factor from an unknown guy out of one or other Slavian state. What a voice! And such a cute guy, too. He sang Nessun Dorma and Ave Maria in quite a fascinating way. Earned a golden buzzer for it.

When I was younger, I often sat working (I used to have a whole attic at my disposition - had a space to sleep, a sitting area and a work desk) with Pavarotti, Careras or Domingo at the background. The work went better that way. And also for writing, my inspiration was fueled by the lovely aria's I put on.

Last year, I could persuade my sister to accompany me to an evening of opera in Antwerp. Normally she doesn't like it too much, but even she had to say it was quite good after the show. Next time I'll take her to see an entire opera, like /La Traviata or Carmen. She'll appreciate that as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment