Thursday, October 21, 2021

Day Against Cancer

Today, everyone is aware of the fight against cancer today. The organisation Kom Op Tegen Kanker organises for the 22nd time the Day Against Cancer. You're asked to wear a yellow ribbon to show that you support the case.

This organisation depends solely upon gifts. My sister and I also have a standing order that everyone a certain amount is transfered to this organisation. The moneys gathered help scientists to develop new ways of helping cancer patients, develop new medicines. It also helps build support houses where cancer patients and their family can have a few days away from all worries. And of course Kom Op Tegen Kanker does a lot of other things. 

This week, our national tv station has been broadcasting programs around people fighting cancer. I'm also one of them. A bit more than 4 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer of the kidney. In all honesty, I can't say I was devastated by the news. I sort of catalogued the fact for what it was worth and continued as usual. I suppose my sister had a harder time accepting it. I've always been able to accept what's coming and make no drama of it. And who knows, perhaps it's for the better? I'm still here after the tumor and my right kidney were surgically removed (made a quick recovery) and I've been taking my medication day by day - I call it my daily poison. I need the medication because the cancer created some methatases on my lungs and one of my pancreas. Nowadays, my lungs are clear once more and thanks to the new medication (the old one didn't work anymore) the lump on my pancreas is decreasing in size again. 

So I'm doing fine and can't really complain. I don't feel like a cancer patient. Of course, I sometimes suffer from some side effects of the medication. With the new medication, the nausea and diarrhoea are less frequent. The only thing is that right now my feet burn like hell every morning and evening. But a paracetamol helps to relieve the pain and then I can function like normal in the course of the day. Do I need to complain for this? There are people who are worse off than myself. I take every day as it comes and hope that many more are coming my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment