Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Going back to my childhood

I don't know, but the older I get, the more I'm inclined to go back to those habits and ways of my childhood... 

When Chris and I were kids, we always rode first class on the train. Our father worked for Belgian Rail and his position gave him right to first class tickets for him and his family. We could enjoy this luxury as long as we were minors and also as long as we were students at uni. Nowadays we tend to buy first class tickets once more. Corona measures played a role in it, as well. First class compartments here in Europe are not only more expensive, but they are less crowded as well. The seats are better and wider. When we travel by train, it's always first class now.

Because our dad worked for the railways, we did not have a car when we were young. Why buy a car when you can go from A to B for free? Later on, when having to go from one school to another, both Chris and I had a car. But I sold mine already like twenty years ago, and the last car went in 2009. We don't miss it. We've adjusted our life to it. For transport there's the train or bus, and we have a caddy for running errands. No car means a least one city trip a year 

Also, I go back to hobbies I had when I was much younger. These past years I have been reading voraciously, just like I did when I was a kid. (When being told I should go play outside more, I hid a book under my sweater and climbed into a tree - to read there for a couple of hours!) I often catch myself thinking I shouldn't have given away my Barbie dolls - we donated them to the Speelgoed Museum in Mechelen. I loved to dress the dolls in their magnificent designer clothes (for which we saved like a year to be able to buy one). I also loved making construction with Lego. Hm,, that's become fashionable nowadays. I've been looking at the site and soon I'll be buying a box to build a historical building or such.

Are there any others who experience this?

No comments:

Post a Comment