Monday, December 20, 2021

Weekend Antwerp (the last one this year)

 Last Friday we headed to Antwerp (by train) to spend the weekend there. We just love that town. Our grandmother was born there and when we were kids we always went to"'t stad" (the city) when we needed something you couldn't find in Dendermonde. We still go there.

It was very busy in Antwerp. It was the last weekend before Christmas and there were many shoppers. And because of the total lockdown in Holland, the Dutch were there 'en masse'. Also our hotel was completely booked, all the rooms occupied. 99% of the guest were Dutch. I believe we and a couple from Ghent were the only Flemish staying there. 

But we had a nice stay. The executive lounge was opened (already was the last time in October as well) and in the early evening there was time for an aperitif and some tidbits to eat. Luckily we had made reservations to go out eating, because the restaurants were full as well. I don't know how many people came asking for a table while we were dining. 

The weather was not excellent, but it could be worse. Because of the corona measures there were no christmas markets in town, but there was an ice-rink and decorated trees galore. Gave at least some Christmas atmosphere and it was cozy to walk through the streets. 

We did some shopping too. I needed  new pair of mittens to keep my hands warm in winter. And because there was a sale at Esprit's I bought two pullovers for the price of one. I still need to add to my wardrobe, because all of my old clothes have become too wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment