Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Tomorrow is Day Against Cancer

Tomorrow both my sister and I will be wearing a yellow ribbon, to show our solidarity with all those who come into contact with cancer.


Every day, lots of people are diagnosed with cancer. Some live, other don't. In our street alone, we lost two people against this illness. Lung cancer and a tumor in the brain.

Last year, I was also diagnosed having a tumor in my right kidney. It was removed without any problem, but since then I need to be very careful with what I do.  I only have one kidney, after all. I have to take a very poisonous pill daily (can't touch it with bare hands), one of the new generation of drugs that luckily for us are paid back by our health care, thanks to minister Maggie De Block. You know, one such pill  costs 69,00€! For a box of 60 you'll pay about 3600,00€. Most people wouldn't be able to keep that up if the governement hadn't decided this medicine was admitted.

The pills work well, though. My latest scan showed no new growths, so that's good news. I also know that the tumor wasn't of the agressive kind, so that is also something.

Nevertheless, I live from day to day now. I feel fine, especially as the pain in my feet (one of the side effects of the pills) has completely gone and I can make long walks once more. I look forward to doing much more trips with my sister and still have meetings with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment