Thursday, May 9, 2019

Second scan of the year

Yesterday, I spent an entire morning and part of the afternoon in hospital. Three times per year, I have to get a scan of the abdomen, with kidney-protection. That is necessary because I only have only kidney after my opereration. The scan itself doesn't take very long (I'm quite used to it by now) but then it's waiting for the result.

Despite the fact you feel it's going to be ok, there's always some anxiety. But no worries, the result was positive once more. One of the small metastases has even diminished in format. To be honest, they're all quite small, otherwise I wouldn't be feeling this good! I count myself very lucky.

In my circle of friends and acquaintances, we were five who got the diagnosis of cancer around two years ago. Our neighbor died last year is September (lung cancer). Then in December a once school colleague (we both taught in Soest, Germany) died of bowel cancer. She was around my age. Last month another colleague died of a spread cancer throughout the body. Guy only was in his forties. And lastly, the son of my once best friend is dying right now. The doctors can't help him anymore. He's in his thirties.

Of those five, I'm the one who does well (up to now). My sister says there's always one who's lucky. I don't win the lottery (or any other game) but perhaps I win this one. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment