Sunday, September 8, 2019

Baking moments

In the weekends, we often spend some time on baking. I suppose we have our grandma to thank for it. She was so good at it!

When we were kids, we were always treated to something she had baked that day - be it waffles, or pancakes, or a pie or cake. And there was always more than enough, so we could bring our friends and sit around the big kitchen table enjoying it and savoring hot chocolate she made in a big pot.

Those moments are long gone. Grandma died in 1986. Our own mother was not much of a cook, that task went to our dad. But he was better in preparing gourmet meals than baking.

Now it's my sister especially who tries out the recipies of grandma. You have to be creative though, because in my grandma's time they didn't work with measures. It's just: take 'a bit' of this and 'a bit of that'. We had to try out a couple of times before we got it right!

Right now there's a breadpudding in the oven (or rather a variation on bread pudding). Later on we are going to make a quiche with salmon.


Sometimes Chris also bakes raisin bread or muffins. Pies not so much, because they're too big to eat with only two! I suppose I'll have to learn how to bake should my sister not be there anymore. I can cook, but I don't do it very often. Funny how I loved to do it when I was a twenty-something... Then I cooked for a whole bunch of friends - and they loved it. The grandma of my Swiss friend Christina even told her she'd better learn to cook like it did.

Do you like/love cooking and baking?

No comments:

Post a Comment