Sunday, October 25, 2020

A good children's book is for everyone

 As you all know, I'm an avid reader. I began to read from an early age and by the time I was 10 years old I had gone through the books of the youth library 3 times!!! 

So I suppose I know a bit about books. When I was younger, I loved some children's/YA books so much I read them various times. And what's better - I still like them now!

In my opinion, the main characteristic of a good children's book is that you have more fun at it as an adult. And in all truth, the authors didn't really write for kids. They just chose to make their main character a youngster and had it go through many adventures. That's what kids like. But there are all sorts of undertones, hidden meanings, etc. that you can only understand when you have some life experience.

A good example of such a book (or series of books, rather) is Harry Potter. I don't know how many times I've read them already. Every time I start reading them again, I experience more fun from it. 

Another is the series about Eddy Wagram, the hero in a couple of books by Aster Berkhof (he died some weeks ago, and was a well-known Flemish author). These are the sort of books that inspired me. And you know what? I thought I'd lost the books. I wasn't able to find them in the attic room for some twenty, thirty years. And while looking for some tax forms a couple of weeks ago, I discovered their hiding place! What a piece of luck! I've brought them down and plan to start reading them soon. 

Do you have fond memories of books you read as a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment