Monday, November 12, 2012

Welfare, no drugs

Some days ago I read in a Twitter feed that some American states have passed a bill where people who apply for welfare should pass a drug test. The reasoning behind is, if you have money to buy drugs, you can buy food as well and don't need welfare.

What's your take on it? Myself I think this is not such a bad idea. From what I experience in my country, people who are getting benefits from welfare (here it's called OCMW) often don't know what matters in life.

Take a family of six: two parents, four children. Father nor mother work and are not in order with their social security - thus they apply for welfare (OCM). They don't have the money to buy food, not enough money to rent a decent house or flat. BUT they have the latest model of smartphone, a wide screen TV set, a big dog which eats the ears of your head, an aquarium full of expensive fish, and more than enough kids. And often an addiction to cigarettes, drink or drugs.

I would applaud such a measure in my own country. I would even go further and not give any more money for free. If such people should want help, they would have to do something instead and get rid of all those things they don't need.

Because what do you really need? My grandmother, who went through two world wars and lost everything in them, always told me you're rich when you have a roof over your head and enough food in your belly.

In my own spendings I go from these principles. First comes the money to pay off my loan for the house, then there's the budget for food and to pay the bills of gas and electricity - and only with the rest I can do something I like. Be it for a folly. When you have enough income, you can have trips abroad and go to a restaurant, but they would be the first things I'd leave if I could not afford them.

I've never been in the red with my bank. Never had to pay interest on my credit card. It's easy, I never spend what I don't have. Just common sense, right?

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. I had to look twice because it sounded like I wrote it. I feel exactly like you do, if you can't afford food than don't buy cigarettes and alcohol.
    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete