Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Musketeers

Have you also been watching this new series around the novel of Alexandre Dumas at Sunday nights on BBC1?


I have, for I'm a big fan of the work of said author. My grandfather (who was French-speaking by birth, but also learned Flemish when married to my grandmother who was from Antwerp) had a library full of French classics, and when I was a toddler he used to read to me from Dumas' work. No wonder I grew up fond of musketeers!

The first stories I wrote were full of action and swordplay. And the novel of which I'm most proud - The Medici Diamonds - is based upon the work of Dumas, I can't deny that. I just love those grand gestures o chivalry and betrayal, mixed with a healthy load of romance. Another author who inspired me was Anne Golon, who wrote the Angélique novels - a strong woman who doesn't ever give up.

My heroine Marguerite has traits of Angelique, but also of Milady or Madame Bonnacieux, and of course some of myself. The man she loves, Anthony or Le Chevalier, is a tormented soul who doesn't give his heart lightly. But when justice needs to be served, he will defend our heroine with tooth and claw.

On seeing the last episode of The Musketeers, my sister commented my novel would make just a good a series. Right, I can see it before my eyes, the opening scene: a deserted house somewhere in Paris, two burglars breaking in, finding the body of a woman and a priceless necklace... fast forward to the next scene, where others are looking for the necklace (which was taken by the burglars) and then again forward to the scene where a young street boy bumps against a gipsy girl and a necklace is switched from pocket to pocket. Oh yes, this could definitely be a three or four part series.

And of course some of my other novels would lend themselves to being filmed as well. So if Hollywood or the BBC is reading this blog, feel free to contact me or my publisher!

No comments:

Post a Comment