Thursday, October 19, 2017

# MeToo

The affair Weinstein stirred quite a bit. Everyone is talking about it now, and the hashtag MeToo has been gathering a lot of testimonials from women who were sexually abused.

I'd like to share my own view on this subject. First of all, let me state that unwanted advances happen - I suppose it's in the nature of man. He's a hunter, has been, always will be out to conquer. But of course, that's no excuse. No man should advance a woman with attentions she doesn't ask for.

As a woman, I've never had any problem with handling such situations. Raised mainly by a grandmother who was world-savvy and very outspoken, I learned from early age on that my body was my own and that nobody was allowed to touch it if I didn't want to.

When a man advances me from behind and for instance slides his arm around my middle, he'll get a sharp elbow into his stomach. Or when they touch my backside, I'll slap their hands or face. I don't care where or when, ,or who the person is. Personal integrity is important. There are some men around who know what I mean. One of them had to walk around with a broken nose and one blue eye for some time...

I.m.o. it's wrong to think you need to allow sexual harassment to get a better job, to advance yourself. That is selling yourself. Regretfully, there are women who like to use their sex appeal to better themselves. But does that make you happy???


No comments:

Post a Comment