Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Currently reading: Grace Burrowes

About a year ago, I made a discovery browsing the Amazon kindle store. I do that every now and then, hoping to find books which interest me and are worth downloading on my kindle. Btw, I prefer reading on my kindle the last few years. I've given away most of my printed books and am storing my library in my cloud drive. Even when I was born in 1956, it doesn't mean I don't know what's going on - teaching keeps one young at heart!

So one of these days, I came upon The Heir by Grace Burrowes.

The heir

A romance novel, but quite differently from what I've been reading before. Burrowes's characters are people who are alive, full of mischief, love, hate and all othere human feelings. The story is about Gayle Windham, who is now the heir of his father, the Duke of Moreland. Being the heir is quite a burden to him, especially as he was not prepared to be so. But his eldest brother Bart died in the wars with Napoleon, along with another brother, Victor. Gayle is now the eldest boy living. He has another brother, Valentine, and four sisters: Sophie, Louisa, Eve and Jenny. Next to that there is also a halfbrother, Devlin St. Just, and a halfsister, Lady Maggie.

After having read this delightful book, I of course bought the next book in the series. The stories about the Windhams consist of two series, The Duke's Sons and The Duke's Daughters. After The Heir follows The Soldier (Devlin's story) and The Viruoso (Valentine's story)

                    
                                               The Soldier

                                    
                                              The Virtuoso

The Duke's Daughters series begins with Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish  and is the lovely rendering of lonely Sophie's tale who finds a babe in a tavern and has to mother it for a while - with the help of a dashing earl. Next comes Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal where the eldest (illegitimate) daughter must cope with a scandal that threatens her reputation. Right now I'm reading Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (I know, Christmas is still a bit off, but then I don't mind). This is the tale in which clever Louisa (she has an IQ higher than most, knows astronomy and mathematics, but she can't communicate with people) longs for a big family and a husband to love. Of course she gets them all!

              
                                        Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
                           
                                         Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal

                                        Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight

So if you are looking for a good read, and want to chuckle every now and then, I can certainly recommend these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment