Saturday, October 6, 2012

The meaning of dreams

When talking to people, I hear that not everybody can remember what he or she dreamt the past night.

I often can. When I wake up, I recall vividly what I did during the past hours - and very often those dreams are very sweet. Sometimes I am in a fancy restaurant and the best things appear on my plate.

Hell, that's not difficult to explain. I like good food and dining out.

When I dream I'm travelling, just the same. I've been to lots of places around the world and read a lot. So my dream destinations can be places where I haven't been in reality, but where I'd like to go somewhere in the future.

And when I have this dream where I have to pack all my belongings to move to another place, I know it is because I don't want to do that. I did live in Germany for four years, from my 22nd year to my 26th, and although it was fun at the time, I would not want to do it over. I like my place here in Belgium and from experience know we live in a country where the living is good.

But how can you explain TWO elephants (and not pink ones!) marching through your living room, even closing the doors behind them???

That's something I can't explain. Good stuff for psychologists I think (although I did take a course in experimental pscychology while at uni). Is there anyone around who knows what this dream stands for?

Another thing. In my dreams I see myself like in a film. A younger version of myself, although with the knowlegle of the older person. I dance in my dreams, I make love, I eat - and it all tastes and smells like real. I once woke up with hunger, because my dream ended before the food was served!

Do you dream? And how?

4 comments:

  1. To see an elephant in your dream indicates that you need to be more patient or more understanding of others. Or perhaps there is a memory that you are holding on to for too long. You need to let go of the past. The elephant is also a symbol of power, strength, faithfulness and intellect. Alternatively, the elephant's introverted personality may be a reflection of your own personality. In particular, if you see a white elephant, then it symbolizes royalty.

    To dream that you are riding an elephant indicates that you are in control of your subconscious and aspects that you were once afraid of.

    To dream that you are afraid of the elephant suggests that there is an enormous problem that you are afraid to confront.

    To dream that you are an elephant suggests that you need to make your opinions and views known. You need to be more vocal and voice your ideas. Express yourself. Alternatively, dreaming that you are an elephant may be reflective of your conservative views. The elephant is the symbol of the United States Republican party. Perhaps you are sharing the same views as the Republican party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Wendy. At least now I know what those elephants meant!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :)
      I used to read a lot of books and websites about dream interpretation.
      I don't know them by heart though.
      It interests me a lot because once I had a dream that two weeks later was very real

      Delete
    3. Also want to compliment you on your use of English, Wendy. But then you always were a good student!

      Delete