Thursday, October 18, 2012

Robin Hood and D'Artagnan

I'm a hopeless romantic. I don't know why. Perhaps it is because I read so many books in which valiant knights rescued damsels in distress?

Anyway, in my childhood my big hero was Robin Hood at first and later on the youngest of the Three Musketeers (who were four): chevalier d'Artagnan. I just loved these men, brave and without fear, who came to the rescue of their king, queen and country.

The first film about Robin Hood I ever saw was the one with Erroll Flynn in the main role. Oh, I thought he was such a gorgeous man!

                                      

I watched all of Erroll Flynn's films and used to replay scenes with my friends. Of course I was the damsel in distress who needed to be rescued! Now I'm in my middle age, I kind of prefer the Ridley Scott version of Robin Hood, with Russell Crowe in the main role.

                            

I loved his rugged appearance as he reminds me of my lost boyfriend. But that's a different story.... Just wanted to state JP was as valiant as those knights from the tales.

Next to Robin Hood I developed a liking for musketeers, and dreamed that I was the Queen who needed to be saved by d'Artagnan. My grandfather was a big lover of all novels by Alexandre Dumas, and I could read endlessly from the books in his library. They were in French, but what the heck? I understood well enough, although I still don't like that language and will not speak it unless necessary.

                                
   

I even became a writer because I adored these heroes of my childhood. Hm, fodder for pscychologists. It probably means I want to preserve my childhood by returning to these stories? Anyway, I like to write about men who are valiant and honorable and courteous towards women. You don't find a lot of them anymore.

But Anthony from Diamonds For The Devil is very much how I would like my lover to be, and so are Neil from The Haversham Legacy, Richard and Walter from The Gold Crucifix and the privateer from Maria Gonzalez.

If anyone is interested in these books, you can always go to Amazon or order them directly from the publisher, www.roguephoenixpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment