Saturday, March 15, 2014

ADHD doesn't exist...

According to American neurologist dr. Richard Saul, the illness ADHD is often mistaken for other diseases or behavior. And of course lots of other scientist claim this is not true.

I can easily believe that the pharma industry will have a say in this. I don't know how many youngsters take Rilatin on a daily basis. Lots of pills to be sold... If this falls away, well, you see the picture. The pharmaceuticl industry wants to produce as many pills and meds as possible, and therefore they lead us to believe we really NEED these meds. The truth is we don't need as many as we take.

Now for ADHD. There will of course be children who suffer from one or other form of it. But lots of them are, well, just badly raised, if I'm allowed to say. I remember from years ago, when I was working in Temse. I was attached to the administration there, and one of our tasks was to guard the kids who had to be picked up after school.

I usually looked after a bunch of kindergartners ranging from 2 to 6 years old. Most of them were sweet kids, and I amused them by telling them stories.  I just made them up at the time being, telling them about princes and princesses, good and bad, ... Most of the kids wanted to sit on my lap, and I usually had four of them stuck to me. One kid, aged 5, was nasty. He did not want to play along and when he thought it was his turn to sit on my lap, he just bit another kid. Now I must say the mother of this kid told me her son had ADHD. Well, he had already been misbehaving before but I thought it went too far when he started biting other children. I grabbed him by the arm (careful to leave no marks) and put him in a corner. He had to stand there until he promised to behave. After a couple of times, he was just as calm and sweet as the others and then of course he could join the others when I was telling them stories. His mum could not understand how her son became so calm and handable after being in after school care.

So I think this Doctor Saul may have a point. The problem is, most parents don't have enough time anymore for their children. They both work, they have to leave early and return late, and the kids have to be in care for most of the time. And you can't tell me they receive there the best of attention. It's just not possible for a child carer to give individual attention to 30 or 40 kids at the same time. It's a problem of recent times. When I was young, there was always somebody home to look after the children. I was not taken out of my bed at 6 am to be driven to a daycare center. I slept until 8 am and grandma gave me breakfast and took me to school. My parents both worked, but they lived in with my mother's parents. Some young people today also do this, because it means they can share costs (houses are very expensive here). And it's not a bad thing. As a youngster, you learn how to act around elderly people and you will take much more for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment