Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cel 5

While I'm waiting for my new Kindle to arrive (I had an accident lately, and the old Kindle was beyong repair) I'm reading a new Deflo novel.

I suppose I already told about Luc Deflo (who writes under the pseudonym Deflo). He writes psychological thrillers, which are among the best of its kind. He writes in Flemish, of course, as he hails from Mechelen, but several other countries already have bought the rights to his books. I know he is currently negotiating with an American publisher, so perhaps you'll be able to read him soon.


Cel 5 is a series of novels around a special cell of the federal police, specialized in the disappearance of children. Up to now there are four novels in the series: Weerloos, Ademloos, Spoorloos and Genadeloos (in English: Defenceless, Breathless, Traceless and  Merciless).

The current book I'm reading, Genadeloos, is about the disappearance of a 16-year-old girl of Thai origine. Her mother has raised her on her own and the kid appears to be well-loved and well-liked. Mother sees no problems when Sharee tells her she's going to spend the night at her girlfriend's. But the next day Sharee doesn't return home and mother begins to worry. Her request for police assistance goes through to Cel 5, who are specialized in this kind of disappearance.

A couple of days later, Sharee's body is found near the motorway. She has been stabbed to death. There are no traces of sexual intercourse but the police find traces of an unknown DNA on her skin.

The investigation begins in all seriousness. The detectives soon find out that Sharee's mother has an affair with a man named Bob Van Steen - and they also find out Van Steen has another mistress. The DNA proves to be of someone close to Sharee, but not her mother. So the suspicions lead to Van Steen.

Knowing how Deflo's mind works, I doubt however that Van Steen will be the killer. Much too obvious.

I like the style in which Deflo writes. He uses short sentences, keeps the pace going. Also he has a great insight in the psychology of a killer. I also know he likes to talk about his work, as I had him talking to classes of mine twice already.

Deflo also is a screenwriter and he has written for several tv-shows.

Last but not least, I'm happy to know this series is titled Cel 5. As it is, this was my suggestion. Luc sent me the manuscript for the first novel years ago and I suggested the title Cel 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment