Saturday, May 24, 2014

How tastes evolve throughout time

When I was a little kid my most favorite food was red cabbage with sausages and lots of potatoes. For most people in Flanders, potatoes and sausages are the main ingredients of their daily cooking. Also cabbage is a popular vegatable, along with carrots and onion.

When someone would have offered me raw fish, or a curry of rice, I would have become ill at the thought! I also did not like tomatoes then - and knew nothing about vegetables like fennel and red beet.

It was only when I began to accampany my parents on their travels that my taste began to change. Coming to other places in Europe gave me a taste for Italian food especially.  Right now we eat pasta's at least once a week.

Our weekly menu consists of a mix of meat, fish and vegatarian. We also eat lots of vegetables and very often rice and pasta, next to our home potatoes.

My sister likes to spice up our dishes, and she uses curry in abundance. Last summer we went eating in an Indian restaurant (for the first time) and really liked the spicy dishes. My stomach never plays up.

When we prepare a paella, we use sharp tasting chorizo to spice up the rice. We also add red bell pepper, onion, mussels, chicken, scampi and saffron.

How has your taste changed when growing up? Are there things you loved then but can't eat anymore now?
Feel free to share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment