Sunday, February 26, 2017

Carnival tide

While I'm writing this, carnival is all around. We hear the music of the groups (and hope the wind will blow it away because they tend to go well after midnight).

Needless to say I'm not a carnival person. I think you must be mad to dress up in funny costumes and drink yourself half blind.

Here in Heist carnival is big. It originated by the local fishermen who wanted to feast once a year, forgetting about the dangers of the sea. But also in other towns in Belgium they celebrate wildly. In Aalst, in Binges, in Ostend.

What I would like to do once, though, is to be in Venice during carnival time. I like that city very much and carnival is all about the most exquisite costumes, like we saw in a shop last summer. Or in Rio de Janeiro, where carnival is something special as well.



And what about you? Are you someone who likes to party?

No comments:

Post a Comment