Thursday, December 19, 2013

The disintegration of our language

I don't know about you, but every time I read the newspaper or watch the news on tv, I see and hear mistakes against spelling and structure. I find this really disturbing.

Young people often make mistakes against spelling. I teach our mother tongue, and often must state my students make mistakes against the use of 't' and 'd'. I admit, it's not always easy, but we learned, so why can't they???

Well, young people can be forgiven. They can still learn better. But what about an editor for a national newspaper who doesn't notice a big mistake in spelling/structure? Years ago, you only saw one or two mistakes once in a while - now I find them every day. It's a disgrace.

My advice would be to read more. And then not on the internet, but books galore. By reading you can not only broaden your horizons but also see how language should be used (well, most of the times...) I also advise students who have problems in spelling to practice a short dictation every day, with the help of their siblings or parents. It takes five minutes tops and it does improve your ability to spell a word correctly.

What's your take on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment