Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Polar Vortex

Almost wrote: Pacific Vortex - which is the title of one of Clive Cussler's first Dirk Pitt novels.

Just came back from a ride on my bike (sun was shining, it was 13° Celsius - feels like spring!) when I heard on the news they're expecting the coldest day in t.he United States.

Shows how crazy the weather can be. Here the flowers are popping up and the birds begin to sing already around 5 am, and at the other side of the ocean people are freezing their butts off.

One of my ex-students is now a meteorologist and he told me this is because of the Polar Vortex. It should normally be higher up and now's it's come down, what causes the cold in Canada and the US. This has also influence on the jet stream, which is meandering more than usual. All because of the heating of the earth.

Well, I won't complain. My electricity and heating bills will be lower than last year's, for sure. And it's lovely to see some sunshine. 2013 was a year without a lot of sun: cold and grey up to June, then two months of nice summer weather, then again nothing much. Let's hope 2014 will do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment