Friday, July 17, 2015

When shopping, I hate it when ...

I know, I'm getting older. Nowadays I dare to speak my mind more freely than when I was  younger. One of the advantages of getting older, right?

This morning, my sister and I were in the supermarket. We always go early enough, in the hope to miss long lines at the tills. But when you go early, you are bothered by the shop assistants filling the racks. And they have a nerve. You, the paying customer, are in their way! Why can't they fill up these racks before the shop opens (which is only at 8 am) or when it closes (at 8 pm)? I said so to one of the women who asked if I could move out of her way (!) and got a very rude answer.


The problem is that in Belgium, people don't like to work when it's not between 9 am and 5 pm. Some jobs hardly find applicants because it involves night work or weekend work (like the police, hospitals, firebrigade, ...)

Most shops also close at 6 pm and are not open on Sundays. There is a lot of resistance to the plan of one of our ministers to change the opening hours of shops.

But in Great-Britain, and most likely lots of other places, shops are open until late and supermarkets are open 24/24, 7/7.

How's it where you live?




No comments:

Post a Comment