Tuesday, June 11, 2013

10 things to do before you die

The sudden and unexpected death of one of my best friends (she was even a bit younger than I) made me think about how short life can be. The end can come before you realize it, even when you are apparently healthy.

My late mother used to tell us on her deathbed that we should enjoy life at its fullest whenever we could. My sister and I now live according to this 'Carpe Diem' principle and we take along what we can.

Still, suppose my doctor told me I only had one more year to live (or even just a few months), there are some things I'd like to do before I lie in my grave (or rather, my ashes are carried along the sea).

Number one: a trip to Australia. It's been on our to-do list for so long, but it takes at least 24 hours by air to get there. Even longer, when you go by boat. Also, the best season to visit is when we have our winter, and then we only have 2 weeks off. Too short to travel so far. So we are postponing it until we're pensioned. Then we hope to catch a ride on a freighter and remain in Australia for some weeks at the least. Perhaps also see New Zealand.


Number two on my list would be a wild water adventure. I've always been rather adventurous and would love to be in a raft on some wild river in Canada or the USA!


The number three is something equally daring, namely a ride in a paraglider (well, I'd settle for a tandem jump).


Number four: dine at De Karmeliet, a three Michelin star restaurant in Bruges. Chef is Geert Vanhecke and he intends on taking his pension in a couple of years. So we'd best hurry to go dining there!

Number five: taking a trip to South Africa.

Number six: making a cruise to Tierra Del Fuego.

Number seven: read all the books on my TBR pile.

Number eight: finally draft up a testament, because we intend to leave everything to charity (alas, we never find the time to go and see a sollicitor).

Number nine: see as many shows in the West End as I can be before I die (and only sit in the best seats)

Number ten: telling some folks what I really think of them...

And what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment