Monday, June 10, 2013

Do you still write letters by hand?

When I was a young girl of about 15, it was quite usual to look for penfriends. At school we were given addresses of young people our age who lived in such exotic countries as India, the USA or South-Africa. The only requirement was you had to know English.


I sent out a couple of introductory letters and after a while, I became penfriends with Lee Sew Yin in Malaysia, Rajeev in India, Rina in Israel and Bruce in New Zealand. Of course there were others, but these I don't recall very well.

We wrote each other quite regularly and it was always a feast when a letter arrived with a foreign stamp (these were collected by my mother's eldest brother, who was a filatelist).

I kept up this exchange of letters until I was well into my forties. But then the computer came and email came into existence. Added to this, I developed arthritis in my fingers, so I readily took to typing my messages and sending them by mail. It took Rajeev some time, but finally also he gave in and now sends me mails. With others, I keep in contact via Facebook messaging. Enter the modern world!

So I ask myself, are there still people who like to handwrite letters? If so, please leave a comment and tell me why you still do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment