Saturday, November 21, 2015

Alarm level 4 for Brussels

This morning, we heard on the radio news (yes, I still listen to my radio, daily) that for Brussels the terror alarm was raised from 3 to 4 (the highest level). Apparently, there is a real threat that an attempt will be carried out.

So all the shops, museums, events, sports events had to shut down. The trains of the metro are not riding and the stations are closed for public. Also some trains to and from Brussels are cancelled.

The government asks everybody to be extra-vigilant. I just hope this won't lead to many panic calls to the emergency services, from people who are afraid. And what will happen when someone forgets (and I really mean 'forget') something on a tram or bus?

Makes me think of our last ride on Eurostar, way back in May. Across the aisle a guy sat down, who was carrying a big hold-all. He put this in the racks above. But some time later he stood up and strode out of the carriage. We haven't seen him come back - and the hold-all remained in the rack until we arrived in Brussels... Reason for alarm? Probably not, but I don't think you should try this right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment