Thursday, November 12, 2015

Speaking English

According to a report of some international organisation, Belgium dropped quite a bit in the list of countries where English is well-spoken.

Well, I'm not surprised. I've been  a teacher for a very long time (almost on pension) and I know from experience that teaching English is not evident. I quite honestly confess I knew no English myself when I finished school. Of course, I had got lessons in English but they really don't teach you anything. What you read in the textbooks is no real English (expressions like 'it's raining cats and dogs'...). And a lot of teacher don't pronounce the language as it should be. There was a piece on the news today, where they went to a class and attented a lesson of English. The teacher could use lessons as well!

I've only learned to write and speak English by first reading books in English, then by watching BBC television and thirdly by spending a lot of time in the UK and the USA. Now I can say I can speak a decent sort of English.

What about where you live? How is it with the knowledge of languages?

No comments:

Post a Comment