Wednesday, March 28, 2018

What to take along on a trip?

Guess this is something lots of people ask themselves! If you are going on a trip (short or long), you need to think about the luggage you are going to take along.

The first thing is to consider the place you are going to. If you are going to the North Pole, you don't carry summer clothes. Also, it's nice when your clothes aren't wrinkled on arrival because you don't find an iron in every hotel or guest house.

For us, it's also important to only take along what's needed. No excess luggage, please. We need to be able to carry our own suitcase from our house to the railway station because we go to the airport by train. So we always travel lightly. That's not so difficult, when you choose with care what to tuck into that suitcase.

We are travelling to the UAE soon, so we won't be concerned about the weather. It'll be hot enough. But because they are islamitic countries, you have to be careful not to offend. So no short skirts. Instead nice linen trousers - they cover your legs and have the added advantage of protecting your skin against rubbing. In the hotels and around the swimming pools you can wear tank tops, but we also bring a big shawl to cover ourselves when needed. We bought these when in Rome, because you couldn't enter the Vatican without one.

Sensible shoes are a must. Not too many, just some that are very comfortable. I've got a pair of loafers which feel like you are bare-footed, and very comfortable sandals. That should be enough, as I'm leaving on my sneakers.

On my head I wear a sunhat. I need to, because my hair is very thin and I need to protect the skin. Found one years ago in Vancouver, and it's still nice to wear.

We'll be selecting our things this afternoon, and then make our suitcases tomorrow as my sister is free on these two afternoons. As long as you don't close the suitcases, it doesn't matter. I always pack the suitcases as my granddad taught me (he was military). I spread the clothes and other stuff evenly so I never have to press the lid to close the suitcase.

Into the mood already...

No comments:

Post a Comment