Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Who loves opera?

When I was a young girl, my grandma often told me about her visit to the Scala of Milan. She really loved opera and hummed tunes of well-known aria's. Also my mum got the vibe. I accompanied her to the Antwerp Opera on occasion, to see La Traviata or Madame Butterfly. But after her death, I'm the only one at home who loves operatic tunes.

My sister loves muscial theatre, but that's not the same. I also love that, and enjoy seeing various shows a year as you well  know if you read this blog. But when I'm alone at home, I often pick an aria on You Tube. Confess, hearing 'Nessun Dorma' really gives one the shivers! In the age those melodies were written, the composers were like Lady Gaga or Ed Sheeran of nowadays, right. Everyone knew their music.

So now I'm happy that at last my sister has agreed to go to see some opera with me. Of course, it's a compilation of various opera songs, from the best known opera's. The slave choir of Nabucco, the drinking song of La Traviata, scenes of Turandot with of course 'Nessun Dorma'.... It's brought in the biggest theatre in Antwerp, the Stadsschouwburg, with a philharmonic orchestra and various artists.



Hopefully, Chris gets a taste for it and will be willing to accompany me to a real opera later on!

No comments:

Post a Comment