Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Introducing author Rich Chambers

Hello folks, let me introduce you to Rich Chambers from Canada, who is one of my fellow authors at Rogue Phoenix Press. Rich has a new book, and that's what we're talking about.



1) Hello there Rich! Would you like to tell us something about yourself?
I am 45 years old and live in Langley BC Canada. My wife and I have been married for 15 years and have two wonderful boys aged 11 and 8. Iwork at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby as an Accreditation LiaisonOfficer, where I spend most of days writing official university reports. I have a Bachelor's degree in English and a Master's degree in Humanities.
I am a avid musician and have written, recorded, and produced a couple of  CD's. My most successful song has been a cover of the Snow Miser/Heat Miser song from the stop animation cartoon "The Year Without a Santa Claus." Since 2005, I have sold over 13 000 copies of this song via itunes and Amazon. I also am a big sports fan. I watch and play hockey and am also a pretty avid jogger. But, my most favourite past-time is definitely time with my family.

2) And something about your upcoming release?
I am very very excited about the release of my novel 18. I first started writing this novel years ago on my lunch hours at my job, which was then at a local community college. I took a pen and notepad and would sit outside near a fountain in the summer months and in the college cafeteria in the winter months. It was a slow and methodical process as a result, but it worked well for me. It allowed me to ponder over my characters and to edit, edit, and edit some more until I was comfortable with how my characters had developed. This was of the utmost importance for me because 18 is a character driven novel and not plot driven. I wanted to capture that true feeling of the "no man's land" that lays some where between childhood and adulthood for all of us. 18 is about one young man and his friends trying to figure out where their lives are headed as they graduate from high school with the societal expectations that tell them they should have their whole life planned out and figured out from this point forward --- and of course, as soon as anyone figures out the answer to this question, I sure would appreciate them letting me know what it is! ;-)

3) Is this your first book, or have you other publications?
18 is my first novel. I have to say that I am very grateful for Rogue Phoenix having the confidence in this novel to publish it. I realize now that a character driven novel is not necessarily the best novel for a first time author to write, but when I first tackled the whole idea of this novel, it just felt so natural to go this route. I am currently working on my second novel, which is completely plot driven. It has ghosts, demons, and religious cults. It is turning out to be a very fun and crazy ride. I can't wait to see how it all turns out, once I finally decide on which characters will double cross who etc..

4) Have you always wanted to be an author?
I have always wanted to write a novel, which I believe is a sentiment shared with just about every author out there. It has always been something on my bucket list to do. I never used to believe that I could do it, but like many things in this life, it just takes a commitment to the process, and then the realization that you just need to take one small step at a time in a very consistent and committed way. Once this commitment takes place, before you know it, you are into it and going. And once you get to a certain point, there is no turning back. The creation of a novel truly is a wonderfully empowering process.

5. How do you see your future in writing?
Boy, my future as a writer ... I have not given it a lot of thought actually. I write because I love to. If somewhere along the way, I could actually make a living writing, I would be completely floored. It would be like being given the key to the chocolate factory and told that I could eat as much as I want without every gaining any weight. I am very proud of 18. Very very proud. If it sells then I will be super happy, but no less proud. If it doesn't sell one copy, I will not be disappointed and still no less proud. This represents my mind set when it comes to writing. As I tackle my second novel, I want to write a plot driven novel that twists and turns, and maybe scares people a little bit. I want to write something that I am proud to say that I have written, which is my true goal as a writer. I am only one novel out of the gate, but so far the goal has been met :-)



Available from Rogue Phoenix Press!

No comments:

Post a Comment