Friday, March 24, 2017

Verdict: diabetes

I had a rather nasty shock yesterday. On Wednesday morning I went to my GP to have my blood tested, like I do at least twice a year. In June 2016 everything was still fine, but in December there was a raised level of blood sugar. The doctor said to pay extra attention (which I did) and come for another test in March.

I had really hoped this time the blood sugar would be better - but instead it was yet higher! Both the doc and I realize I can't do anything more (I don't smoke, I move enough, I try to avoid sugars and eat well-balanced). The problem is with my pancreas. It doesn't work properly anymore.

Our dad had the same disease and in a way both my sister and I realize we got a fair chance of getting diabetes as well.

Still, it's a light shock when you first hear it. I've been to see my GP to discuss what to do next. He's given me more pills to take (4 in the morning, 2 at night) which may help. We'll see the result in about 5 weeks' time. When the pills don't work enough, it will be insuline. Luckily, we don't have to pay a lot for all these medicines. That's one of the advantages of paying 50% taxes and social security. We also don't need to pay a lot for operations, especially when you pay (a little bit) extra for a hospitalisation plan.

So people, wish me luck and let's keep fingers crossed those pills will do their work!

No comments:

Post a Comment