Sunday, September 16, 2012

Nickie's Ten Questions to Elizabeth George

Elizabeth George's website

 

1) Have you always wanted to be a writame intere

Just like everybody, I have my own favorite writers. Some of them are gracious enough to answer my questions, and I want to share these with friends and visitors.

This month's interview is with Elizabeth George, who's "Thomas Lynley Mysteries" have gained world-fame and which are now a major tv-drama on BBC1. The new series started on Monday 10th March.

sted in writing when I was 7 years old. I have written ever since that time.


2) You were a teacher at first. How did you enjoy teaching and which were the subjects you taught?

I loved teaching and continue teaching to this day. I taught a variety of subjects under the umbrella heading of English. Suffice it to say I taught everything from remedial English to Shakespeare studies.

3) You managed to sell your first book 'A Great Deliverance' to a major publisher. How did you pull that off?

I did it the old fashioned way. I wrote letters to literary agents until I found one. She did all the rest.

4) How was this first book treated by the critics?

My first novel received almost universally good reviews.
5) Do you plan on creating other characters in your books, or do you want to go on with Thomas Lynley and Barbara Havers?

I have a number of continuing major characters and continuing auxiliary characters. My novels have never actually been limited to only Thomas Lynley and Barbara Havers.

6) Your novels show a deep insight in human psychology. Did you by chance study psychology?

I have a masters degree in Psychology/Counseling.
7) The BBC has purchased the rights to film your books, and by now several Thomas Lynley Mysteries were made. Are you satisfied with the way in which they are brought to the screen?

While I like the films in general, I feel they are a sanitized version of my books. I would have liked them a little bit more had they been grittier.

8) You often come to London. What do you like about this town?

I've been traveling to London for more than 30 years. There are many things I like about it beginning with the great expanse of architectural history it covers and extending to the tremendously poly cot society that now comprises.

9) How important are the reactions of your readers to you?

I write primarily for myself. If I worried about what my readers thought I would be spending most of my time paralyzed in front of the computer trying to please millions of people all of whom have separate opinions. This is impossible.

10) Do you have a favourite writer of your own?

There are a number of people's writing I greatly admired. In no particular order they are John Irving, John LeCarre, John Fowles, Jane Austen, Barbara Kingsolver, Michael Dorris, Jim Harrison, Alice Hoffman, Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan, Graham Swift, J. Wallis Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment