Saturday, September 1, 2012

Should teachers refrain from accepting pupils as friends on Facebook?

Today there was an article in the national newspapers about teachers and Facebook friends. Most of the headmasters and also the ministry want teachers to delete every 'friend' they have, when they are also a pupil of them. They claim teachers cannot be 'friends' with pupils or students, they are guidemasters and teachers only.
I think this goes a bit too far. I'm also a teacher, and I have accepted lots of pupils as my friends on FB. This has never lead to any abuse or misuse. You just have to know as a person what you want to reveal on FB and what not. I don't give out any personal info, such as my home address, telephone number etc. I don't tell everyone whom I'm seeing or what I do in my private time. But I share some moments that everyone can witness.
I also think having pupils and ex-pupils as friends on FB is a good thing. I have boys and girls among them who were in my classes up to 20 years ago, and they still address me with respect - and they come to me when they have a problem. They could do so when at school, they can do now. I'll help where I can.
What's your take on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment